Thursday, June 12, 2008
Classic Swiss Roll
The very last time make this cake was 3 - 4 yrs ago and the result was not very good so when I came across the recipe again, I decided to give it a try one more time and this time the result came out beautifully.......
3 egg whites
3 egg yolks
1/2 cups fine sugar
3/4 cup cake flour
2 tablespoons warm milk
250g strawberry jam (or any flavour), warmed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F(175 degree C). Butter a 10 x 13 x 1 inch baking pan. line with parchment paper.
2. Beat the egg whites in a large bowl at medium speed until frothy. With high speed, beat in sugar, beating until stiff, glossy peak form.
2. Add egg yolk one at a time until just blended after each addition. Continue beating until batter is very thick and creamy, about 10 minutes.
3. use a large spatula to fold the flour into the batter, alternating with the milk. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan covering the bottom of the pan.
4. Bake for 12 minutes. Take it out from the oven and let it cool for about 3 minutes.
5. Lay the surface of your table with parchment paper, the size of the paper must be bigger than your cake. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoon of fine sugar then put the cake with the surface facing downwards, remove parchment paper from bottom of cake. Roll cake together with the parchment paper and leave to cool for about 7 minutes.
6. Unroll the cake and spread the strawberry jam over leaving a border. Roll the cake and stand seam-side down.