Since I have all the ingredients in hand, so I thought why not giving this recipe a try. It's no regret though as the kids like it so much and the hubby too. It was quite messy a first but I'm quite expert now.....
The recipe called for 2 9' pie pan but I prefer to bake it into mini tartlets.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon mixed with 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter or margarine and 1 cup sugar. Add 1 egg and beat until mixture is smooth. In a separate bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir flour mixture into sugar mixture just until ingredients are thoroughly combined. Press mixture into bottom and sides of two 9-inch pie pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- In a large saucepan, combine milk, vanilla extract, and 1 tablespoon butter or margarine. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then remove from burner.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 2 1/2 tablespoons flour, cornstarch, and 1/2 cup sugar. Add beaten eggs to sugar mixture and whisk until smooth. Slowly whisk mixture into milk. Return pan to heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 5 minutes. Pour half of mixture into each pastry shell. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Chill before serving.